Sunday, December 9, 2012

Summarizing Idea

Hi there! We will be discussing summarizing this week. I have found this activity. Feel free to do it with any story you read at home with your kids. If you don't mind, please give me feedback on how it goes. I would love to hear about it from your end.


Ask your child the following after a story:
Someone... 
WAnted...
But...
So...
In 
The 
End...

And in addition to summarizing, it makes a great tool for discussing story conflicts, or for creating skeletons for original narratives.

There is also this website with a graphic organizer. 
http://www-tc.pbskids.org/arthur/parentsteachers/lesson/storywriting/pdf/somebody_wanted.pdf

I would think it would work with any book, not just an Arthur book, but it also is a reminder that we can practice summarizing after a movie too!

I hope to do this in class this week.  This might be a good discussion to have with your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment